Thursday, 4 March 2010

How hard can it be....

I'm always fascinated by source artwork and decided to try to copy one of McGinnis paintings. How hard can it be...
I found out quickly enough that it's incredibly hard. What looks like a random brush stroke is actually masterfully positioned. I have admired McGinnis' work for it's colours, painting style and compositions for a long time but now my respect has doubled.

Here are my first attempts. Guess I will continue until I get at least a bit closer - or until my wife wants the kitchen table back.

6 comments:

TheReviewer said...

I think you did an awesome job. I love the James Bond movies. I collect the James Bond Action Figures. Have you seen any of these. Some are really good. Anyway, thanks for the post. Keep up your passion. :)

T Messenger said...

I too have always loved McGinnis' work - and you're attempt certainly isn't that bad. I'll put it this way, it's a million miles better than I could ever accomplish so well done. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Jason Whiton said...

great job!!

Anonymous said...

Indeed, some of the foriegn artwork based on the UK originals is diabolical - your versions are almost spot on. At least it looks like who it's meant to be! You can't say that for a lot of the overseas artwork. Nice job. What materials are you using?

Leighton Johns said...

Your Connery looks pretty good from here. Recently I tried something similar digitally - it didn't turn out so well. Keep it up and maybe you could get McGinnis' Stella gig!

Peter Lorenz said...

Thank you everyone for the nice feedback! @ Anonymous: I'm using gouache and coloured pencils. I read somewhere that McGinnis uses that...