Monday 26 August 2013

Exclusive Interview with Rudy Obrero

I'm re-publishing an interview with Rudy Obrero, the artist responsible for the US poster artwork of "Never Say Never Again".

Q: How did the producers got in touch with you for the " Never Say Never Again " poster artwork?
A: I was commissioned to do some comps for "Never Say Never Again" By an Ad agency in Los Angeles called New York West.


Q: What kind of briefing or input did you receive? Photos, source material etc?
A: I had some photo stills from the film to work from. Q: Were there any restrictions in regards to the movie not being an "official" Bond movie?
A: Yes, originally I included an underwater fight scene with divers and and a big shark attacking. But I was asked to remove all of the underwater scenes because it might conflict with previous Bond posters. I also had to remove a helicopter and a jumping motorcycle as well as a whole yacht. Here is a previous version of the art to compare to the final poster that was released.



Q: How much time did you have to create the artwork?

A: about 30 days total


Q: Can you describe the creative process in terms of composition, choice of colours etc?

A: Well, The layout is certainly symetrical with all elements leading the eye to Sean Connery. It was always about Bond and his beautiful women.


Q: What materials do you use? (Acrylics, Gouache, mixed media etc…)

A: At the time I used acrylics, applied with an airbrush and traditional brushes. Now all my work is done digitally.


Q: What was the most fun part of creating this artwork?
A: I thoroughly enjoyed painting the first version of the poster. All the elements of the montage were fun to render. I really like working on action adventure images, so this was a real treat for me to do. So, sad to say most of the fun parts of the painting had to be removed by the time it went to the printers.


Q: Any special anecdote associated with this artwork?

A: When I was asked to start removing the action elements because of legal conflicts, the poster did not have it's original impact. It became static and a little boring. This became a poster ultimately ruined by the lawyers involved.


Thank you for this interview! Check out Rudy's website
here

Also thanks to Thomas from "The Nixdorf Collection" for the photos.